Monday, October 8, 2012

Google Chrome Crashes with Error "Chrome.exe - Bad Image" due to icudt.dll

Background

I have been using Google Chrome as standard browser on a Windows 7 Enterprise PC with Service Pack 1 ever since. Then, once in a sudden I get an error popup when I want to start Chrome telling me:

<path to user directory>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\22.0.1229.79\icudt.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.
 The search for solutions did not yield an immediate remedy, so I want to collect my experiences in a blog.

1. Attempt: Install Chrome over existing installation

First thing I tried was to simply go to the Chrome website and install it over the existing installation. I did not run the installation in administrator mode. And I did not download the installer explicitly to some directory.
Result: Failed

2. Attempt: Uninstall Chrome completely and Install again

By using the Windows control panel I uninstalled Chrome from my system, went to the Google website and re-installed Chrome again.
Result: This approach worked